Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Ubiquitous basket

“I like fruit baskets because it gives you the ability to send someone a piece of fruit without appearing insane. Like, if someone just mailed you an apple you'd be like "Huh?", but if it's in a basket you're like "Nice."” - Demetri Martin, an actor, writer and comedian.
When I read this, it made me smile… everything does look special in a basket and I love getting my presents in a basket.
Baskets were originally weaved for utilitarian purposes. The first baskets were made to carry and transport fruits, grain and nuts. Over time they became more decorative and the perfect packaging for gifts.
As per Wiki, while basket weaving is one of the widest spread crafts in the history of any human civilization, it is hard to say just how old the craft is because natural materials like wood, grass, and animal remains decay naturally and constantly. So without proper preservation, much of the history of basket making has been lost and is simply speculated upon.
The oldest known baskets have been carbon dated to between 10,000 and 12,000 years old, earlier than any established dates for archaeological finds of pottery, and were discovered in Faiyum in upper Egypt. Other baskets have been discovered in the Middle East that are up to 7,000 years old. However, baskets seldom survive, as they are made from perishable materials.
I have baskets all over my house. They make me feel like my home is tidy, organized and everything looks better in a basket! Adding a rustic feel to the home, they are in some way reassuring. I would believe that the art of weaving a basket is immensely satisfying.
I can’t imagine any home without a basket of some type somewhere…be it a small village hut or the most contemporary city dwelling. The type of basket available in every state or country changes according to the type of natural material found there. When I travel, I am always open to buying a basket that interests me.
I am from Northeast and baskets are made mostly of bamboo and cane there. My family has been working with these for like forever. 

Multipurpose, durable and pretty
We also got into these made with willow wicker from Kashmir:

Keeps veggies sorted in the fridge and good to keep fruits as well
Laundry basket keeps extra cushions & soft toys. Face towels in the duck basket/ regular round basket looks pretty in the washroom. Ear buds in a small basket is a nice way to keep them handy
I am now exploring new markets and new designs that fit into contemporary homes. Anybody have  design thoughts for these baskets?

No comments:

Post a Comment