Sunday, February 9, 2014

Maa Lokhi’r Pechaa- What is it about an owl?

It was the last morning of my trip to Kolkata and I was still looking to take a souvenir for a friend. I wanted something typically Bengali that would fit into their contemporary home. Wandering around Kalighaat, I was wondering what would be apt when I spotted the perfect gift from Bong-land.

It sits in my home here

Known as Pechaa in Bengali, it was found in Kalighat (where you only get everything related to gods and praying) only because of its link to Goddess Lakshmi, the deity of wealth.
There are different myths around the owl however in Bengal, the white owl always accompanying Lakshmi is considered auspicious and a sign of good luck.
Devdutt Patnaik’s article is interesting as it explores the identity of this owl.
What endeared me to this owl was that it felt so familiar and reminded of my bong roots… carved from wood by hand and painted in the typical Bengali graam (village) style and colours it instantly found place in my heart and home :) 
(I obviously picked one for myself as well and another one that sits among all the gods at my aunt's puja place)

My friend was delighted as well with his Pechaa

I saw it used as mirror frames & carved on wooden stool legs in Kolkata. Unfortunately I have lost the pictures I had clicked however I found this link to an article by another blogger who has written about this craft and has posted some lovely pictures in her blog life is a vacation
I intend to get a couple of these stools for my home on my next visit, there is no such thing as too much good luck... so pick your Pechaa at Kalighat if you visit Kolkata :)

No comments:

Post a Comment